Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Bon Mardi Gras!

    So while it is true that Mardi Gras is not on the Wiccan wheel of the year - I will tell you unabashedly.....

I love Mardi Gras!

THERE. I said it. I love this flashy, fun celebration of life. I love the parades. I love the costumes. I T-Totally love the masks and beads. Then there's the food.....Of course we would never leave out the king cake! I purchased that because it's so much easier then baking. (This is a yummy treat - brioche which has been frosted and topped with colored sugar in green, purple, and yellow). It's enjoyed at breakfast lunch and dinner often during the weekend leading up to fat tuesday (AKA Mardi Gras and Pancake Tuesday)!


On Mardi Gras we gather together as a family, sometimes friends too. Often, we have homemade blackened chicken, dirty rice, and pancakes. We drink a hella lot of coffee too - oh wait that's every day LOL.

We sometimes make little "parade floats" out of shoe boxes. Then we parade around the house or yard with our creations. We make up krewe names or we copy the famous ones,


Boas can be fun, I have tons of beads that we wear. Also, fool and mask cut outs we hang. We also have a big banner. I noticed some neat streamers with big 3-D balls in green, purple, and yellow at the dollar store this year,

We always make paper plate masks. This is done by cutting out your desired mask shape, coloring or gluing things on, then punching holes on the sides and tying ribbon through the holes to tie your mask in place.

We do all of this while listening to Pandora's Mardi Gras station. Could it be any easier or more fun? We dance around and act silly while wearing our home made masks and tons of beads. It really is a fun party!

No comments:

Post a Comment