Tuesday, March 29, 2016

March Fun~ as we Welcome Spring, celebrate Irish Heritage, and have a good time!

March. What a fantastic month. So many amazing fun things about March - it is a beautiful month in nature! Everything begins to bloom. We observe the equinox and welcome spring!

We begin to really celebrate the turning of the season with the spring equinox. We visited some beautiful natural places as a family. We talked about the changes occurring around us in nature. We played "Flower Bingo" where each player tries to be the first to point to certain flowers and trees.

I burn Rose incense this month to welcome new blooms. Makes me feel all springy even if it may still be a bit on the chilly side. I have also burned it, while meditating, out doors before the buds popped.

I offered springy mandalas to each of the kids to color along with a new box of colored pencils and a personal sketch pad. I personally love anything that encourages artistic expression! Gaia covers the world with blooms at this time, and I find it inspirational to color on paper along with her.

This is also the month where our family ventures out into the wildflowers for photos! This is one of my favorite traditions because I display the photos in my home and share the photos with extended family.

Goddess and God egg for the Egg Tree
One fun project we began a few springs ago is to create a Deco Egg Tree. We color fake eggs for hanging in a tree. We collect a new fallen branch and hang some home decorated eggs on it indoors, with new ones being added each season.

This year we used Crayola Scribble Eggs which I found on a lark in CVS. Both colored pencils and crayons worked wonderfully on these. (Do note that markers are not so good on these, oddly they just rub off.)

Our family also has an egg hunt. We use plastic eggs that (we parents pre) filled with seeds. We plant the seeds in the flower bed at the end of the collecting and we "welcome spring, little seeds". In a few weeks we will have a lovely new flower garden. Next year we may do this with veggie seeds as well.

Something about spring time just screams bubbles to me! We bought new bubble bottles and took time this weekend to get out and just play with the bubbles. No one is ever too old for the simple wonder of bubbles in the breeze.

Another BIG thing we do in march is celebrate Irish Heritage on March 17, and around then too. This year marked the 100th year of freedom in Ireland. As a decedent of Irish Patriots, I can not express how proud I am of this accomplishment which overcomes 700 years of oppression - with a century of freedom! This month, although not actually Irish, we enjoy Corned beef and cabbage a few times. This meal has other significance for me as well, as its origins in NYC are also part of my Irish heritage. We celebrate the new season of spring as well as the new seasons of prosperity in Ireland. (I am just gonna sit this here: I bleed Brian Boru Blue!)

At this time we discuss family history, genealogy, and in timeless oral tradition - the stories of "my" people. This, is just as I grew up with at the knee of my elders. I just can not express how much this means to me!

Although not specifically related to any of the other things, my kids just love baking cookies - so we did that too. We broke out some colored sugar and made festive colorful tasty treats.

Ideas for next year:
*Write prayer on small paper and roll it into the scribble egg. Glue shut with small ribbon for hanging. NEVER open the eggs.
*Egg relays. I plan to come up with some plastic egg games.

The following link is something I really like! I plan to do this myself on Friday. It will be the last day of March, and I can not think of a better way to personally take time with my Gods, the Trees, and welcome spring in a very personal ritual! I feel quite kindered with this youtuber (Anni at MIRTHandREVERENCE)- I deeply admire her and her practice, ethic, and honesty. That is not something I say lightly.
Awesome video here:
"Season of Air - Spell of the Four Winds"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OlDxVLk8tw

Blessed Be Friends!

~Alette ♥




No comments:

Post a Comment